Function of a coolant
The main reasons why engine cooling systems are filled with a complete coolant instead of normal water with antifreeze are:
• Permanent frost protection to -38°C.
• Constant cooling through better heat dissipation properties.
• Thank to the high reserve alkalinity, metal parts in the system, such as aluminum and copper alloys are constantly protected against electrolytic action of acids.
• Plastic and rubber parts are not affected.
• No clogging of the radiator by rust and sludge formation.
• Protection against rust and corrosion.
Can different types of coolant be mixed?
Coolant are available in many colours; red, blue, green and even transparent. The colour does not tell anything about the quality, but is only for recognition. Mixing different types of coolants is not recommened. By mixing coolants, problems can arise as leaks from the water pump and / or head gasket, and plastics and rubber can be affected with coolant loss as result.
Problems by the use of different coolants do not act immediately but arise gradually.
If coolant must be added, the advice is always to use the by the manufacturer prescribed coolant. A little bit Coolant loss over time is possible. But when you have lots of topping or regular adding is necessary then it is wise to have a Radiator Stop Leak added.
NB Always do this with a cold engine.
Another possibility is to identify the problem and fix it. If changing the Coolant is necessary, always make sure that the prescrived fluid is used.
Finally, the freezing point does not say anything about the state of the additives in the Coolant.